When starting on a weight-loss journey, it’s common to explore various options, and if you’re considering the prescription medication Zepbound, the question of insurance coverage is a major concern.
Zepbound can be a potential game-changer for many people with obesity who have struggled to lose weight and keep it off, but it can be expensive to pay out of pocket. So, knowing its compatibility with Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) coverage is essential.
In this post, we’ll explore the Zepbound coverage options offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield and assist you in navigating the insurance process.
What Is Zepbound?
Zepbound is an FDA-approved weight-loss medication designed for adults with obesity or those with a BMI higher than 30. The medication can also be prescribed for overweight people with a BMI of 27 or higher and with a weight-related medical condition such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea, or cardiovascular disease.
Unlike Wegovy, which works by activating receptors of the hormone GLP-1 (glucagon-like peptide-1), Zepbound works by imitating two hormones, GLP-1 and GIP (glucose- dependent insulinotropic polypeptide), which are both produced by the intestines.
The body needs these two gut hormones because they decrease feelings of hunger and reduce food intake. Zepbound helps people feel fuller for longer, therefore reducing calorie intake.
Tirzepatide has proven highly effective for weight loss in clinical trials. Although it has not been compared with Semaglutide, trials have shown that it causes more weight loss.
Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Zepbound? Coverage Criteria
Blue Cross Blue Shield may cover Zepbound weight loss medication, but coverage may vary based on your specific plan. It’s essential to check your insurance policy or contact your insurance directly to know the coverage details for Zepbound. If your plan covers Zepbound, there are some specific requirements you should meet. Here are the considerations:
- You must meet the FDA-approved requirements for Zepbound, which include being an adult who is at least 18 years old and above, having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher or a BMI of 27 or higher, with at least one weight-related comorbid condition like type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease (CVD), hypertension, obstructive sleep apnea, or impaired glucose tolerance.
- You may be required to complete a prior authorization form for Zepbound. This is a coverage request that once you book a consultation with us, we will help you submit it to BCBS Federal with information about your weight and history. Some questions we ask you so we can include on this form include:
- How long have you tried to lose weight?
- What is your current weight? What is your current BMI? We can help you calculate your BMI if you don’t know it.
- Have you tried diets or exercise regimens to control your weight in the last six months? How are you currently keeping your weight under control?
- Have you ever done any therapy or sessions with a healthcare medical professional, dietitian, or other expert regarding diet or weight loss?
- Have you ever used weight loss medications? Which products, and for how long, if any?
- Do you suffer from any of the following conditions: heart disease, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol?
- Before receiving Zepbound coverage, BCBS Federal may also require you to have actively participated in a lifestyle modification program through exercise and diet for at least 6 months.
- The insurance company advises its members not to use Zepbound with other weight loss products or glucagon-like peptide-1 (GLP-1) agonist-containing products.
- BCBS Federal also wants its members to follow a low-calorie diet and exercise while on Zepbound. Consider using a calorie calculator to estimate the daily calories your body needs to lose or maintain weight.
Steps to Check Your Coverage
Contact the insurance provider directly to know if your Blue Cross Blue Shield plan covers Zepbound. Talk to the customer service department using the phone number on the back of your health insurance card or the official BCBS website. A customer service representative can guide you through your policy specifics, offering insights into whether Zepbound is covered and, if so, under what conditions. Some questions to ask include:
- Does my insurance plan cover Zepbound?
- How much will I have to pay if my insurance plan covers Zepbound?
- Does my doctor need to complete any particular actions, such as submitting a prior authorization (PA) form, before my coverage is approved?
- What is my insurance plan’s deductible?
- What amount will my insurance plan cover?
- How much will I pay if my insurance plan does not cover Zepbound?
If you’re unable to determine if your plan covers Zepbound, our healthcare provider can help you navigate the insurance process. We can help you determine your eligibility for Zepbound coverage, guide you through the documentation requirements, fill out a Prior Authorization form, submit paperwork to BCBS Federal, and provide valuable insights into the approval process.
What if Blue Cross Blue Shield Denies My Coverage for Zepbound?
If your Blue Cross Blue Shield plan denies Zepbound coverage, we will examine the decision and follow up with them.
We may recommend other lifestyle modifications, including changing your diet and workout if your plan does not cover Zepbound. We can help create a customized plan that specifically suits your needs to promote weight loss.
We can also recommend using other weight loss drugs like Wegovy, which Blue Cross Blue Shield also covers.
Start Losing Weight Today with NP2GO
At NP2GO Clinic, we prioritize the well-being of our patients by providing innovative weight-loss solutions. In keeping with our dedication to easily accessible options, we are pleased to offer Zepound in Oklahoma, a cutting-edge weight-loss drug that gives people control over their weight. We help you control your weight efficiently and sustainably.
Zepbound in Oklahoma is a life-saving injectable medication for weight loss. Zepbound, when administered under the guidance of our specialists at NP 2 GO Clinic, targets the underlying causes of weight gain, helping patients effectively and efficiently reach their weight loss goals.
If you’re seeking a safe and effective strategy to reach your weight loss goals, our skilled medical professionals can help you. Book a consultation to know how Zepbound can be customized to meet your specific needs and begin your journey to a happier and healthier life.
Don’t delay any longer. Start your journey towards transformative weight loss with Zepbound in Oklahoma. We also offer weight loss services in 28 more states, including Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Washington DC, and Idaho.